Home UK News Boyd murdered girl, 7, and evaded justice for 30 years

Boyd murdered girl, 7, and evaded justice for 30 years

Published: Last Updated on
Nikki Allan murdered by David Boyd

After evading justice for more than 30 years, sexual deviant David Boyd was found guilty of murdering a seven-year-old girl.

Nikki Allan was lured to her gruesome death in a derelict warehouse 300 yards from her family’s home in the East End of Sunderland in 1992. Her family never gave up their quest to see justice served.

After a trial at Newcastle Crown Court, 55-year-old David Boyd was found guilty of murdering Nikki, who was attacked with a block and stabbed 37 times in the torso before being dumped in the cellar of the Old Exchange building, either dead or ailing.

The public gallery was filled with cries of “yes” and “you scumbag” as family members embraced and bellowed with joy as the verdict was announced.

Stacey Allan, sister of Nikki, exclaimed “yes, thank you” as she departed court. Boyd, who was extensively tattooed and clad in a white T-shirt, did not react visibly.

David Boyd, pictured //PA

Northumbria Police initially prosecuted the incorrect individual, George Heron, who was exonerated after a 1993 trial.

Richard Wright KC told the court that Boyd was known by Nikki’s family, resided in the same flat block as her, and was the partner of their caretaker.

Nikki had been out with companions on the evening of 7 October 1992, when a woman reported seeing a young girl with a man later identified as Boyd.

Mr. Wright remarked, “The child would occasionally lag behind and then run to catch up.”

“This was Nikki Allan. She was in the company of her murderer and unwittingly hopping to her demise.”

Boyd, who was 25 years old at the time of the murder and resides in Chesterton Court, Stockton, Teesside, denied homicide but declined to testify.

CCTV footage depicted a male adult being followed by a juvenile. According to the prosecution, Nikki must have known her murderer.

Locals reported hearing piercing cries the night Nikki was murdered.

When it was discovered that the student was missing, the close-knit community assisted the officers who conducted a search overnight.

Nikki shoes and coat outside dockside warehouse
Nikki’s shoes and court were found outside, with her body found in basement

The following morning, Nikki’s shoes and coat were discovered outside the dockside warehouse, and her corpse was discovered in the basement.

Her blood was found outside the only entrance, a boarded-up window approximately six feet off the ground.

Investigators believe that Boyd must have struck Nikki outside the structure, then carried out his horrific attack inside while leaving DNA traces on her clothing.

Northumbria Police Assistant Chief Constable Brad Howe stated, “Today is about justice – for Nikki and her family.”

“We commend them for their tolerance and fortitude over the past 30 years, and we continue to keep them in our thoughts. David Boyd concealed his crime, lied about his involvement, and prolonged the family’s suffering, knowing the entire time that he had murdered their young daughter.

Northumbria Police’s investigation into Nikki’s homicide was one of the most complex and exhaustive ever conducted.

In a Teesside park seven years later, Boyd sexually assaulted a nine-year-old girl.

In 1986, he was convicted of disturbing the peace for requesting a juvenile female for a kiss.

He told his probation officer that he had fantasised about “young girls” without clothing.

In 2017, advancements in DNA techniques enabled investigators to reexamine Nikki’s case and obtain clothing samples.

Tests indicated a one in 28,000 match for Boyd or a male relative of his was discovered “in multiple areas” on the clothing, jurors were told.

The police were then able to request a DNA sample from the individual whom they had considered a mere witness 31 years earlier.

Boyd was apprehended and charged with murder in 2018 after a meticulous investigation involving the DNA testing of 839 individuals with ties to the area at the time.

Over the years, Nikki’s mother, Sharon Henderson, 55, has criticised Northumbria Police’s investigations and come to mistrust the force.

Nikki's mother Sharon Henderson
Ms Henderson speaking to reporters outside Newcastle Crown Court //PA

She told reporters outside the courtroom that it was “injustice” that “this evil man slipped through the net to murder Nikki when he was already on their (police) files.”

“Three doors away from the grandparents of Nikki. “They should have immediately investigated him,” she said.

Ms. Henderson has dedicated over thirty years of her life to the pursuit of justice. Ms. Henderson responded, “Because Nikki is my daughter, and I love her,” when asked how she found the fortitude to continue fighting.

Detective chief superintendent Lisa Theaker, the senior investigating officer in the case, stated following today’s verdict, “Nikki would have been 37 years old now, and who knows what her life could have been. David Boyd unjustly deprived her of her prospects, however.

David Boyd arrested
David Boyd being arrested //PA

“The anguish and misery he has inflicted upon so many individuals is incalculable. This is a monumental day for the Nikki family. I’d like to thank them for their remarkable fortitude; after thirty years, they have been granted justice.

“Since 2017, our investigative team has worked assiduously on a case that has been both complex and difficult. Our goal has always been to identify the perpetrator and ensure that they are brought to justice.

“New forensic techniques played a crucial role in this investigation, and extraordinary experts, witnesses, and specialists assisted us in discovering and proving who was culpable.

“The citizens of Sunderland have also contributed to the pursuit of justice for Nikki and her family. I’d like to appreciate everyone who assisted our investigation and provided their DNA for elimination.

Without their assistance, the conviction of today would not have been possible.”

More from Dagenham Chronicle

About Us

Dagenham Chronicle

Dagenham Chronicle is a brand of Transparency, a registered company in England & Wales. We are not regulated by the IPSO, but we largely accept their Code of Practice.

© 2023 Transparency Group Media. All Rights Reserved. Registered in England & Wales: 14774961