Home UK News Murderer caught after escaping and being on the run from federal prison for 4 years

Murderer caught after escaping and being on the run from federal prison for 4 years

Published: Last Updated on
Dénis Begin

A fugitive who had been one of the highest profile targets of the Quebec police force was arrested this week after having been on the run for over four years. The individual had managed to escape from a federal correctional facility.

Dénis Begin was reported missing on February 15, 2019, from a minimum security wing at the Federal Training Centre just outside Montreal. He was apprehended by the Montreal police on Monday, but the reason for his arrest was not related to his initial escape; the police have declined to give any further particulars.

When he fled, Bégin, 62, was serving a life sentence for a 1993 homicide he committed in Montreal. Thursday’s news release from the federal corrections agency provided scant additional information, other than: “an investigation was conducted by the Correctional Service of Canada into the circumstances surrounding this incident.”

Bégin received a life sentence after admitting guilt for the murder of 19-year-old Ricardo Gizzi on Halloween in 1993. Both men had dressed up in hockey masks for the occasion, however Bégin had a gun in his possession. Initially, bar patrons believed it to be a Halloween joke, however it quickly became apparent that it was a serious crime.

In 1997, Bégin was convicted of first-degree murder by a jury but his conviction was overturned and a retrial was demanded after he argued that his statement to law enforcement was not “consented to”. The appellate court ruling stated that he had confessed in exchange for becoming an informant for Quebec’s anti-biker unit.

A 1998 trial was reported on by the Montreal Gazette, featuring the testimony of Bégin in which he revealed his relationship to gangs and his knowledge of facts that could aid in the resolution of numerous criminal cases, such as the bombing in 1995 that caused the death of 11-year-old Daniel Desrochers.

A car with an explosive, intended for a gang member, detonated while the child was playing near his residence. The murder of Desrochers occurred at the height of Quebec’s motorcycle gang warfare and is regarded as a turning point in the violent conflict between rival gangs. Nobody has been charged with the murder.

More from Dagenham Chronicle